Friday 27 June 2014

"Wow, eat a cheeseburger."

Disclaimer: Although I understand that everyone has their own opinions on different topics; I'll be talking about the majority of the population in this particular post.

I've been tossing over whether to blog about this particular topic for a few months, and I finally decided to go for it. After all, what do I have to lose? Besides, this isn't exactly a sensitive topic to talk about. Okay, here it is... A question that has been in my mind over the past few years is: why is it acceptable to comment on a person's weight if they're skinny?

If you're confused about what I'm asking, I'll give you an example. When I was about 13/14, I got into the habit of going for a run five times a week. I was already playing soccer and going for short swims about once a week, in addition to studying two sport-related subjects at school that contained practical components. I was exercising almost every day. I also remember feeling very fit and healthy (not that I don't feel the same anymore). Despite this, one of my friends thought otherwise: "Wow, you're really skinny," she said after we had hugged. Before I comment, let's just pretend I was slightly overweight instead. Would that same girl have pulled away from a hug and said; "wow, you're really fat," or "you've gained weight?" Uh, definitely not.

But why is it any different? Just because someone is at an 'ideal' weight, this doesn't mean they have a high self esteem. I shouldn't have let my friend's comment on my weight affect my self-concept, but it did. Following her comment, I began to think I was too skinny and tried arm and shoulder exercises in an attempt to appear broader and less 'bony'. I'm not going to go on about how you shouldn't worry about what other people think of you, because that's not the point - the point is, why did my friend make the comment in the first place? Why did she think it was fine to comment on my low weight, whereas it wouldn't have been fine to make a comment to someone who had a higher weight? It just doesn't make sense.

Sadly, this targeted criticism reaches further than the schoolyard. I've seen model shots of curvy girls receive masses of compliments for their confidence in regard to their body image. If anyone called these curvy girls 'fat', they would likely be hated on. Let's turn things around again. Typically, supermodels such as the Victoria's Secret Angels are regularly described as being 'too skinny' and 'unhealthy'. Why is it only acceptable to make negative comments on someone who is skinny?

Okay, sorry if this was a little too intense for you - obviously, I don't normally rant or write a post around something I am passionate about. I guess the whole point of this post was to bring attention to something most people don't realise they are doing in the first place. Don't worry, though - I'll be back to posting about the usual (you, know... beauty, thoughts, obsessions, fashion) regularly. Till next time xx

No comments:

Post a Comment