Saturday 31 May 2014

Top 10 things you need to do in New York City

New York City: The Big Apple. The City of Dreams. The Concrete Jungle. You get what I'm saying. In actual fact, I was in NYC less than two months ago. It was the first time I'd ever been there, and I absolutely loved it. I love the hectic feeling of being in a city where you're a complete stranger to everyone else. Okay, I'm getting off topic. My point? Since New York can be pretty crazy at times, it's important to have a plan as to what you want to see or do while visiting. Most people, like me, are pretty clueless as to what they want to see/visit/experience while in The City. Don't stress, though - I've done most of the work for you and compiled a list of the top ten things you "must do" while in NYC. Read on.

10. Buy a hot dog from a street vendor
I don't care what kind of attitude you have towards hot dogs (unless you're a vegetarian/vegan, then by all means ignore this), but most people know that hot dog vendors are an iconic thing in New York. In actual fact, the (one) hot dog I ate while in New York was probably one of the best I've ever had.
[DSC_1308.JPG]

9. Walk through Times Square
Ahh, Times Square. You'll all probably agree with me when I say that it is absolutely insane. The arrangement of different shaped posters and electronic signs is so beautiful that you may get distracted while walking and end up bumping into another person.
On a side note, I wouldn't recommend walking through Times Square if you're claustrophobic. However, the top deck of a tour bus is a good option.

8. Shopping on 5th Avenue
No matter your budget, shopping on 5th Avenue is almost guaranteed to make you feel 10x more glamorous than usual. For me, walking down an unfamiliar-yet-extremely well-known street (that word may be a little downgrading) is pretty special. You don't even need to purchase anything; just surround yourself in the glamour of beautiful stores (from designers who you may never have even heard of) and soak in the atmosphere - trust me, you'll appreciate the memory after you've left.

7. See a Broadway Show
Yes, Broadway shows are quite expensive. However, I recommend you see a show if you're an international visitor - when else are you going to get the opportunity to go, so just do it! :) My family and I saw Wicked while we were there, and it was honestly the best musical I've ever been to.

6. Go on a river cruise
You can interpret the word 'cruise' however you'd like to, depending on your budget. Basically, it's a good idea to go on a river tour around Manhattan (under the Brooklyn Bridge) and ultimately having a good view of the Statue of Liberty. Have your camera ready!

5. Visit the Empire State Building Observatory
No matter which viewing platform you go to, the view from the top of the Empire State Building is stunning. It's a great way to see Manhattan from above, since you can spend as much time as you'd like analysing just one part of the city. Just a warning, though - it was 0 degrees C (32 degrees F) while I was up there in April. Don't underestimate the temperature at that particular altitude, in addition to the wind chill!

4. Walk through Central Park
There aren't many parks this large that are so close to the CBD of a major city. It would have been lovely to lie in the grass while I was there, however it was pretty cold at the time. The ice skating rink is beautiful, too - can you imagine it in winter? While walking through Central Park is nice in itself, the horse and carriage rides were probably the major highlight for me. How can you resist going on a trip through Central Park via horse and carriage? I've included photos below, just in case you're missing the point here :)
How relaxing does this look?
   

3. Go on a bus tour
It's probably the best way to get to know where everything is (How many blocks is Times Square away from your hotel?). Plus, most companies have hop-on, hop-off tours arriving every fifteen minutes to each stop. I probably enjoyed the Midtown and Downtown tours the most, while I didn't enjoy the Uptown and night tours to Brooklyn as much (although they were still interesting).
I definitely recommend Gray line tours

2. Ice Skating at the Rockefeller Center
When I first laid eyes on The Rink at the Rockefeller Center, I actually gasped. It's the most beautiful ice skating rink I've ever seen. My first assumption was that it was probably incredibly expensive to use, but I was actually quite wrong! I mean, it's expensive for what it is; however, it won't break the bank! Plus, you'll get a good deal if you purchase a conjoined ticket that lets you go up to the Top of the Rock, too!
It actually looks exactly like this

1. Go to the Top of the Rock
In my opinion, this is no doubt the number one thing you need to do while in New York. I mean, the observatory of the Empire State Building (refer to 5) is pretty cool, but isn't the centerpiece of New York the Empire State Building itself? The Top of the Rock has a perfect view of this iconic building, in addition to holding about three observation decks on consecutive floors. That way, it doesn't get too claustrophobic come sunset (trust me, everyone wants a good sunset photo).
Yes, it really is this stunning. I recommend going at dusk for some sunset/night shots

In case you didn't already know, I'm Australian. This means that neither my family or I were extremely interested in various historical sites. However, if you're an American (or interested in American history), you may want to consider visiting locations such as the Twin Towers Memorial. 


Wow, that was my first ever travel post! Which surprises me, because I've always loved travelling and want to share my experiences with you all. If you liked this, please let me know! That's all from me for now, so I'll talk to you all next time xx

No comments:

Post a Comment